Our rooms are located in the Blue House, built in 1912 by the Dootz family, and in the New Barn, a romantic reconversion of a wooden barn built in 1869. We started the restoration process in 2016 using local craftsmen and traditional materials and techniques.
From the start, our goal was to respect the original methods used in masonry around the area. We gave life to the place with the help of our architect, Cristian Kiss, and a trustworthy team of craftsmen from the region. By using old style, Saxon charm, and a twist of modern ingenuity, we touched up the rooms, filled them with authentic, restored furniture pieces, and incorporated two bathrooms and a kitchen to satisfy contemporary city dweller needs.
Our adventure was shaped by the openness and willingness of some our neighbours to contribute to our story. We had help from local carpenters who worked wonders on fixing missing windows and doors, or using hand made materials to remake the walls of the house.
We learn a lot about restoring furniture, hunting for antiques in the villages and antique fairs, finding traditional pottery and even assembling our own painted wood stoves. One of our crowning success stories was replacing the missing “armuroi” of the house, which is a Saxon painted wall chest.
In 2020 we put the finishing touches on the conversion of our small barn into two additional guest rooms. We wanted to offer an authentic stay with a modern touch. The two rooms in the attic work as a canvas for organic textures such as old wood, handmade bricks, painted ceramic tiles and earth plaster.